Berry Beet Jam
Use with steaks & burgers, pork & lamb, roasted vegetables or as an accompaniment on a cheese plate. A great relish with roast chicken in a sandwich.
Makes 1 x 500ml jar
- 4 large beetroot, peeled and quartered
- 2 large brown onions, peeled and halved
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar
- 100ml water
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 tsp ground clove
- 1 x 250g punnet Victorian strawberries, washed, hulled & cut in 8’s
- Pre heat oven to 180oC. Toss beetroot, onion and rosemary in oil, then place on a lined baking tray. Bake for 50 minutes, or until beetroot is tender. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Discard rosemary.
- Roughly chop beetroot and onions and place in a saucepan with brown sugar, vinegar, water and spices. Cook for 15 minutes until sugar is well dissolved.
- Add strawberries and allow to cook for a further 5 minutes, until soft but not broken up. Use warm.
To store additional jam:
Pour jam into a sterilised jar, and allow to cool then seal. Refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.