Strawberry Ripple Icecream
Prefect for those hot sunny days or a quick easy dessert.
Wine Match: Crisp Riesling or Sparkling Wine
Makes 1.5lt of icecream or 6 large sundaes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 x 250g punnet Victorian Strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
- 1 tbsp Grand Marnier or fresh orange juice
- 1L good quality commercial vanilla bean ice cream
- 2 cups chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup extra castor sugar
- Extra 250g punnet Victorian Strawberries, washed and hulled to serve
- Place the strawberries, sugar and Grand Marnier into a heavy based saucepan and simmer until the sugar is dissolved completely. Set aside to cool, then puree and place in the refrigerator until cold.
- Remove the icecream from the punnet, soften slightly and fold in half of the chilled strawberry puree. Refreeze until firm.
- While waiting, place chopped hazelnuts in a small heavy based pan with extra sugar, allow sugar to dissolve completely and cool slightly. Pour onto a lined baking tray and allow to set hard, then crack into shards.
- To serve, place some extra chilled puree in the base of a tall sundae glass. Top with fresh strawberries, then a big scoop of the Strawberry Ripple icecream. Top with more fresh berries, then another scoop of icecream and sprinkle with hazelnut praline. Serve immediately.