A versatile salad that can be either be served as a shared entrée or a cheese course. Or a salad showstopper placed in the middle of the table for all to share.
- 2 x 250g punnets Victorian Strawberries, washed, hulled, and cut thinly on the diagonal
- 1 celery heart*, finely sliced, keep the leaves for garnish
- 1 fennel bulb, finely shaved (reserve the fronds for garnish)
- Water and splash of lemon juice/vinegar
- 1 small cucumber, cut into very fine rounds
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt flakes and freshly cracked pepper
- 200g Meredith Goat’s Cheese
- Place finely sliced fennel in a small bowl, cover with water and add the splash of vinegar/lemon juice. Stir to coat. Set aside.
- To assemble the salad: crumble half of the cheese over the base of a large flat platter, and then scatter the celery, drained fennel and cucumber on top.
- Place the strawberry slices over the salad, then scatter chives, celery leaves and fennel fronds on top. Drizzle over the lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Crumble over remaining goat’s cheese and serve.
* The inner most pale stalks of the celery