The perfect picnic food to share with friends and family.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- egg wash
- black (or white) sesame seeds
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- ½ cup chopped basil leaves
- 2 free range egg yolks
- 1 punnet Victorian strawberries, washed & hulled, sliced
- 2 large green tomatoes (or 1 punnet mixed tomatoes), sliced
- Defrost puff pastry and place on a large (40cm x 30cm) tray, overlapping the two sheets by 3cm. Brush overlapped edge with egg wash and press together well.
- Score a rim around the pastry of 3cm, by running a knife around the rim 3cm in, but not cutting all the way through the pastry.
- Egg wash this edge, then coat with sesame seeds. Sprinkle the Parmesan on the inside pastry.
- To make filling, combine ricotta, basil leaves and egg yolks until smooth, and spread over Parmesan. Top with sliced strawberries and tomatoes.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes at 200°C. Cool slightly before slicing and serving.
To serve, make a twist on pesto with extra fresh basil, olive oil, blitzed with some red wine vinegar.
Drink match: Chilled Rose