Labneh is a thick, creamy, Middle Eastern style yoghurt cheese you can ‘make at home’. Easily switch from sweet to savoury, you can even add more honey on top and sprinkle with any of your favourite nuts. Served with these gorgeous strawberry shaped hearts makes your Valentine’s Day snack time a real treat for you and your loved one.
- Sour dough or ciabatta bread, sliced thickly
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 250g punnet Victorian Strawberries, washed
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon pistachios, chopped
- 6 sprigs of baby mint
- Edible flowers (optional)
- 500g Greek yoghurt
- ½ metre of muslin or a brand new chux cloth
- 1 heaped tablespoon of honey
- To prepare the labneh: spoon the yoghurt into the centre of the cloth, pick up the edges and tie at the top, place over bowl. Hang in fridge to drain overnight.
- To prepare the strawberries: trim the strawberry calyx into a V-shape, which forms the top of a strawberry heart, then cut the strawberry in half. Repeat until all strawberries are cut into hearts.
- Heat a char-grill pan until very hot.
- Drizzle a little of the oil on each side of the bread. Char-grill, turning once, until toasted (about 1 minute each side), then set aside and keep warm.
- Take labneh out of fridge and stir through honey, spread on toast, place the strawberry hearts on top and sprinkle with seeds, nuts and fresh mint/edible flowers. Serve warm.