A delicious light and fluffy cake with strawberries baked into the top.
Wine Match: Sparkling wine or Moscato.
Serves 8 to 10
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 60g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 1 x 250g punnet of Victorian Strawberries washed, hulled and sliced
- 125g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 (125mL) milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cream the base butter and sugar until fluffy and spread over the base of a 20cm spring form cake pan lined with baking paper. Arrange ¾ of the strawberries attractively over the mix. Set aside.
- Cream the cake butter and sugar until fluffy and stir in vanilla and add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Fold the flour and milk alternately into the creamed mixture. Carefully spread cake batter over the strawberry base and bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then invert onto wire rack to cool completely. Top with remaining berries to serve, and dust with icing if desired.